APPLYING FOR A PLACE AT YGBM
The entry of children into schools is controlled and administered by an ‘Admissions Authority’. The admission authority for the Vale of Glamorgan’s Community and Voluntary controlled schools is the Council and this is managed by the School Access Team.
Each school has an area known as a catchment area. Pupils living within the catchment area are prioritised higher than those residing outside of the catchment area, as detailed in the oversubscription criteria on the Vale of Glamorgan website.
Parents are required to complete an application form, links are shown below, and express a preference for a school they wish their child to attend. An application form must be submitted before a place can be allocated.
Please note that only the Council’s School Access Team can allocate a place for your child at a maintained school. Any letter received from a school (unless they are the admitting authority) stating that your child has a place reserved for them, should not be taken as an indication that a place has been allocated.
In advance of submitting an application, parents should discuss which school they wish their child to attend, and attempt to reach agreement, especially where more than one person has parental responsibility.
Telephone: 01446 709844 contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
YGBM Primary School Admissions
When applying for a place in nursery or reception this is managed by an annual admission round and your application must be completed by the advertised closing date given in Vale of Glamorgan website Some Important Dates section to give your child the best chance of gaining a place in your chosen school.
Admissions to primary schools will normally be granted provided a schools admission number is not exceeded. Where the number of applications for admission to a school exceeds the number of places available, i.e. where an admission number has been reached, places will be allocated applying recognised admissions criteria.
No place can be allocated to pupils to attend their catchment school, or any other school, unless a formal application is made. Those parents who do express a preference by the closing date will be considered first with late applications only being looked at once the first round of allocations has been completed.
Please be aware that if you do not apply by the closing date, you may find that your chosen school is already full and your child could be denied a place at their local school.
Nursery 2020-21 – Closed
Please be advised that due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the notification letters for Nursery Admissions 2020/21are due to be sent out week commencing 8th June 2020.
- Opening Date: 24th January 2020
- Closing Date: 23nd March 2020
- Offer Date: The offer date for your child will depend upon the term in which they begin Nursery.
- September starters : 25 May 2020
- January starters: 25th October 2020
- April starters: 25th January 2021
2020-21 Late Applications
If you would like to submit a late application for Nursery 2020-21, please complete the form below and e-mail to email@example.com
Online Process opens: 7 November 2019
Closing Date: 10 January 2020
Offer Date: 16 April 2020
You can Login at valeofglamorgan.gov.uk to View Application
*E-mail notifications will be sent 16 April, letters will be posted 1st class on 14 April 2020.
• If you have received notification of the decision to offer your child a place for Reception 2020 and would like to accept the offer of a place, please login to Vale of Glamorgan website and do so at your earliest opportunity.
• If you have received notification of the decision to refuse your child a place for Reception 2020, please complete and return the enclosed application form, selecting an alternative preference. You will also receive paperwork that once completed allows you to appeal against the decision to refuse your child a place, if you wish to do so please complete and return the paperwork as instructed on the forms.
- 01446 709844
YGBM Secondary School Admissions
If your child is attending Year 6 of a Vale Primary or Junior School and is due to transfer to a Secondary school in September, you will receive a letter from the relevant admission authority advising you of the process.
Admissions to secondary schools will normally be granted provided a schools admission number is not exceeded. Where the number of applications for admission to a school exceeds the number of places available, places will be allocated by applying the published Admission Criteria.
It is a legal requirement for all parents to express a preference for the school they wish their child to attend/transfer to, even if they are attending the feeder primary school. You can express two preferences and it is recommended that one of these should be your catchment school.
Transfer to Secondary School September 2020
Opening Date: 25 September 2019
Closing Date: 29 November 2019
Offer Date: 02 March 2020
School Admission Appeals and Coronavirus - Year 6 transfers September 2020
We are monitoring government guidance and currently considering the impact of the coronavirus on School Admission Appeals. The Independent Appeal Panel Members are unpaid and trained volunteers so there may be unavoidable delays to progressing and hearing appeals this year due to the Coronavirus outbreak. We are expecting to receive new guidance very soon from the Welsh Government, which will add clarity to the situation. We will provide a further update as soon as possible. (Last updated 03 April 2020).
If you wish to get in touch to discuss this further, please contact us on 01446 – 709844/709725/709727
*E-mail notifications will be sent 02 March, letters will be posted 1st class on Monday 02 March 2020.
• If you have received notification of the decision to offer your child a place for Secondary 2020 and would like to accept the offer of a place, please login and do so at your earliest opportunity.
• If you have received notification of the decision to refuse your child a place for Secondary 2020, please complete and return the enclosed application form, selecting an alternative preference. You will also receive paperwork that once completed allows you to appeal against the decision to refuse your child a place, if you wish to do so please complete and return the paperwork as instructed on the forms.
Please note the closing date has now passed. If you would like to submit a late application, please complete and return the form below to the admissions team via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or alternatively via post: School Admissions Team, Civic Offices, Holton Road, Barry, CF63 4RU.
The links below will take you to the relevant page on the Vale of Glamorgan website: